2015 will see the 750th anniversary of the founding of Glasney College in Penryn.
Two thirds the size of Exeter Cathedral, Glasney College was established in 1265 as a secular rather than monastic institution, a powerhouse of culture and learning where in the 15th Century a series of miracle plays, the Ordinalia, was written in Cornish. These plays form the repository of the Cornish Language.
Following the destruction of Glasney in the 1540’s, only a small fragment of the material fabric of the College remains visible above ground today, in the form of a wall in the corner of an open green field in central Penryn. Hidden under the grass lie the extensive foundations of Glasney College. Last excavated in 2005, the site of the College is protected as a scheduled monument.
In imagining this project, Katie Etheridge and Simon Persighetti have been inspired by encounters with the work of individuals and groups who have in recent years painstakingly researched/ restored/ preserved/ excavated/ reconstructed or brought to life the material evidence and cultural legacy of Glasney College. Namely Friends of Glasney, Cornwall Archaeological Unit, Penryn Museum, Gorsedh Kernow, Shaun Broderick, Val Diggle, Will Coleman and Golden Tree Productions, and BA Theatre students at Falmouth University.